Monday, October 25, 2010

Changes in a year

It's been over 1 year since I last posted about The Mana World. I attempted to log into TMW a couple of times over the past year without success because I couldn't remember what name I used to log in (it wasn't Tarq, that was the character name). I set up a new account a couple of months back but did nothing with it. Last night I logged in and started playing. I noticed in the TMW Forums that there was a big account sweep, and sure enough I recognized the user name, Charm, that I used for Tarq *deleted.* As an administrator I understand deleting used accounts, but it still kind of sucks, I put many hours in... But I know the game much better... or so I thought until I headed over to what I thought was going to be the location of Hurnscald... gone.

But I did make a friend, Lux... thanks for the update. And I got to reminisce about some of the players I used to know. In the mines north of Hurnscald I used to bump into Katze (Editors note: I was wrong it was Wayne). I think it was Katze (Wayne) at least. At one time he was wearing a red robe and the red mask, then the black top hat and a black robe. I think when I met Wayne he was in the Level 90+ range, because he was always far more powerful than I. After a few months of playing it seemed that Wayne had hooked up with a female player, I think it was SugarCorgit (no it was Freya), who did a lot of drops. I'm going from memory, and my memory has been bad of late, so I could be wrong (Yes I was wrong).

I think it was Wayne who first directed me to the wiki and I earned my Setzer because of him. Later (I think I was level 69) I decided to switch from being a lug-headed fighter to a magic user. Much of that story and my quest for a robe of every colour is documented on this blog.

So starting over again. Actually I'm level 16 already after playing an hour or so one evening and a little bit of time this morning. Some things I remembered to do: remap the auto-target key. I always used the left Alt for auto-target instead of a, it makes it easier to pick up items (z) after a monster is killed. I also remembered about monster points. Shockingly I was able to trade monster points away for: a snake skin, iron ore, one of those yellow things useful for magic (can't remember), fluffy skin, antenna, etc.

I completed a few minor quests, but I'm a long way from where I left off (in the 80s if I remember right).

The good news is that since I'm almost starting from scratch, and because the game has been updated, I can put more relevant information for new TMW users.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about your previous character, Charles. Indeed purging old accounts is one of the sad necessities of our current server, since it will significantly slow down the login server if we leave them all around.

    But maybe you read the news on the front page. We're still actively developing our new server (now called manaserv) and work has finally started to eventually move TMW to it. You can be sure that we'll make sure that we can keep accounts as long as possible, hopefully forever.

    In any case, it's good to hear you're back! I've always enjoyed reading your blog posts. :)

    On a sidenote, Katze is female. As her husband I know these things. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wrong, it was Wayne and Freya. Thank you for commenting. I'm starting from scratch which is a good thing because when I first started this blog I started at a level that wouldn't help new players.

    As the head of a computer refurbishing project I've been installing TMW on EVERY computer we've sold in the past year! (Several hundred). I'm going to get something going here to get more people involved in it, I don't think many try it because of the registration process.

    On a side note, last night I had great difficulty connecting to the wiki, but no problem connecting to the forum. At the moment I cannot connect to the server.

    Cheers and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete