Sunday, October 31, 2010

Tulmishar mines - giant maggot quest

I reported the other day that I decided to complete the Tulmishar mine quest. I completed the first half of the quest defeating enough Ancient Archants to get 3 keys and open the chest. The second half of the quest involved destroying one of two giant maggots and bringing what the maggot dropped back to Sema.
The giant maggot is mincemeat, but what is an iten?

Before embarking on the quest I decided to do a little research. I came across this thread on the Mana World forums which indicated that the giant maggots are extremely tough even at level 45. Well, I'm level 42 and defeated one without dying or needing to run too far away.

The key seems to be a combination of hit and back-up, and heal. Defeat any monsters around the giant maggot first, you don't need the extra work of trying to stay alive when they hit you. The giant maggot is strong and when he hits it hurts (34 average damage), but he can be defeated by hit and back up. I stood toe to toe with him a couple of times while my hits were high and other monsters around were eliminated, but he did manage to get me down pretty low (at which point I walked a little ways away and healed).

The drop is a boring cube-like item called iten. Not quite sure who came up with this name, but it feels like an unfinished part of the game, iten is not a good name. Still, I got the desert shirt reward, which wasn't much of a reward since I already bought one. As I mentioned in the previous post this series of mine quests feel more difficult than the log quests in Hurnscald and the overall reward is much less, especially since the desert shirt can be bought.

I missed the fact that Nathan will give you miners gloves before Sema's quests, but since I already completed half the Agostine quest I already have better furry gloves. I'd love to complete the second half of this quest, but I only have 10 furs left and after spending 47 to get the gloves I doubt Agostine will grant the boots in less than another 30. Back to Hurnscald for awhile I guess...


No comments:

Post a Comment