Friday, November 12, 2010

Advice for New Players of The Mana World

The following hints are gathered from my own experience playing The Mana World off and on for a number of years. These are kind of first steps players might want to take playing the game:

  • Learn the keys to move, target, attack, and talk. I personally like to remap my target key from a to alt (or ctrl) so that my target and attack are closer together. This if course means having to remap what alt/ctrl did before to something else (a is good).
  • Talk to Aidan the monster guide and register as a quest participant right away. If you don't register right away you lose any monster points you might have gained from killing monsters. Monster points can later be traded for items (monster points are not experience, but are very useful nonetheless).
  • Equip your cotton shirt before you start killing monsters, it gives you a little added extra protection and is not equipped by default, but is in your stash.
  • Talk to different people in Tulimshar and go on the quests they send you on. There is an order that needs to be followed. Some Non-Player Characters (NPCs) will not give their quest until you've completed another quest.
  • After you've killed a bunch of maggots and scorpions visit Ishi the rewards master. She will ask if you want to trade your monster points for items. You can get some significant items that will help you both now and later in the game: (for example: the Fancy Hat gives a good boost to basic defence at the start of the game and Snake Skins come in handy later in the game for chaps, currently the most durable lower body item in the game).
  • If you get duplicates of items like the Fancy Hat don't give them away initially (you can do that when you're level 50), sell them for gold and buy a Leather Shield. This will further add to your defence.
  • When you've done most of the quests (I didn't finish the mine quest until after I'd finished some of the Hurnscald Quests) head north and to the right. Look for the Ferry Man and pay 1000 GP to get to Hurnscald. In Hurnscald you'll be able to complete a number of other quests. I recommend you go north and do the Pinkie quest which will result in a prize of a powerful +75 to attack Scythe.

3 comments:

  1. Nice blog :) I have a question for you. I've been playing for a week now and I'm a lvl 45. I'm trying to get the steel shield but I don't seem to be high enough as I'm having trouble killing monsters. Do you have any tips on how to lvl up faster? thx

    elmocrispers on mana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks jocelyn. The fastest way to level that I found is to "stack" with other, more powerful players, against groups of monsters. Let them attack first and try to get in a few shots. You don't want to stack with players that are too high (level 99 when you're 45 for example) because they'll probably kill monsters before you even get a shot in.

    As for the steel shield, this time around I don't have one yet either, but I'll tell you my strategy:
    * kill logs for more roots, use the money to buy coal (easier than killing Mogguns)
    * kill yellow slimes in the mines south of Tulimshar (less people there so far and more room to run around) for iron ore
    * Use stacking to get the infantry helmets (or buy them)

    Thanks for checking out the blog, hope these hints help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool thx. I just read your profile and this is pretty cool, kitchner is only a couple of hours away from where I live in Kingston.

    ReplyDelete