Saturday, December 24, 2011

100 Snail kill rewards

A conversation in town between DarkLight, Prsm and myself prompted me to do a little snail-drop analysis. I spent some time this morning killing 100 snails to determine drop rates. Here's what I got:

18 cherries, 15 plums, 13 pears, 11 green apples, 10 blueberries and 3 reed bundles.

I think much of the conversation in town was around the accuracy of drop rates. It's been noted before that just because something has a 3% drop rate it doesn't mean you'll necessarily get 3 out of 100. I don't remember who it was that posted about this before, but there was an excellent post about the fallacies around percentages in TMW.

If you look up snails on the wiki you'll see I came slightly under the drop rate numbers for cherries (20%) and reed bundles (4%), but quite a bit over on green apples (5%) and blueberries (5%). Blueberries are the best health drop from snails so it's not a bad thing to be 5% over on (drop rate would have been 10% if you calculated based on my finding). Funny enough plums was dead on. Pears were slightly over by 3%.

If we add up all the overage percentages it comes to more than the underage percentages, meaning the drops are actually more lucrative than the percentages on the wiki suggest - they just may not be for a particular item in a particular moment in time.

I'm sure that if I killed another 100 snails I would come up with different numbers. It's an interesting experiment, but by no means does it reflect a verification of the wiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment