Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cocoon hunt




Of course my romp in the forest north west of Hurnscald continues for cocoons. I've managed to amass enough that I now have 7 robes (that's 7 x 150 cocoons = 1050 cocoons). I've been asked why I'm wasting my time when I could be stacking, levelling up fast, and just buying the cocoons with money. The answer is pretty simple: while stacking will raise my level faster it doesn't help a lot with money (keys are worth next to nothing and helmets only drop once in a blue moon). But there are lots of benefits to hunting for cocoons in the forest north-west of Hurnscald, including: usually you also hunt herbs (I gave away 1200 herbs, 300 of each kind yesterday for a drop), there's also a lot of clover patches, and while I still haven't found the elusive 4 leaf clover, I'm sure cutting the patches doesn't hurt (rumour is they spawn somewhere around every 500 clover patches, I think I'm close to that number by now). There's also other creatures around (gave away 200 bugs legs yesterday also). Ultimately it's a collector's breeding ground.

One bone headed thing I keep doing is giving away Iron Ore (it was to a good cause for a drop), but I found myself needing it for Orange Dye... Not a big deal since I haven't got enough cocoons for my 8th robe yet. I've been keeping a lot in storage, the storage in The Mana World seems quite stable for the moment.

Money does seem to be a bit of a problem. I'm not sure how others are amassing great wealth because hunting bat's teeth and wings is a lot more boring than herbs and cocoons. It seems better to empty pockets and hunt red slimes for gloves and leather shirts since they're 1k/ea and they drop with enough frequency that it seems better than hunting bats. Granted they don't stack in inventory the way bat's teeth do, but I always try to keep lean and mean.

Today's objective, one more silk robe, and half of level 68.

No comments:

Post a Comment