Monday, November 1, 2010

Making The Fluffy Quest More Fun

When I played The Mana World over a year ago one thing I didn't notice was how much effort killing fluffies was (maybe I just don't remember). When it took 47 fluffy furs to get the winter mitts (Agostine quest) I thought I'd check to see if anyone else had such bad luck, and it turned out that some of you had much worse luck! In some cases the number of fluffy furs needed for the mitts approached 100.

The wiki is responsible for spreading the rumour that it takes around 30 furs to satisfy Agostine for each quest. But what Agostine accepts is based on a random event, and as one player noted, subject to a Gambler's Fallacy.

So I played more and it occurred to me that part of the reason it seemed so frustrating was that Fluffies don't seem to drop White Furs very often. So I decided to count the next 32 furs (in the screen shot 2 went to another quest leaving me with 30). The following is the amount of kills it took to get a White Fur:

21, 17, 3, 58, 18, 2, 28, 6, 19, 17, 2, 1, 5, 21, 8, 5
20, 1, 6, 14, 17, 29, 17, 4, 8, 1, 14, 18, 15, 34, 15, 1

Yes, at one point it took 58 Fluffy kills to get a white fur. But if you average all these numbers out it comes to 14.625 Fluffies per white fur. It still feels like a long process, so I decided to make a game of it. I noticed that I was about half way to my next level. Knowing I'd also need cash and that roots from Log Heads generate about 200gp each I decided to alternate between killing Fluffies and Log Heads. First I'd kill about 10% experience of Fluffies, then 10% experience of Log Heads. Log Heads give more experience than Fluffies, so what I did was make sure that I ended my Fluffy kills around 10% by only ending when I picked up a white fur. In one case this worked out to about 13% of Fluffies, but I leveled up.

As I write this I haven't yet gone back to Tulimshar. The stakes are higher than they were a year ago when you could just walk to Tulimshar. I'm quite sure I'm shy of the 15k Agostine will ask for and not sure 30 furs will satiate his lust for fur, so I'm thinking it won't hurt to try this technique for one more level, perhaps making log heads 20% of experience so the process goes quicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment