Saturday, January 21, 2012

Why the 4144 client

Tarq fighting a Terranite


I recently decided to upgrade one of my systems from Ubuntu 10.04-LTS to 11.10. Having done a bunch of migrations I knew it was a lot easier just to back up and do a fresh install. After reinstalling I decided instead of using the 4144 client I'd give the official client a try again. But within a very short time I'd removed the official client and re-installed the 4144 client.

One very small detail in the 4144 client made me switch back to it - the display of how much damage has been done against a monster. It's a detail that doesn't really matter against weak monsters like fluffies and pinkies, but is really nice to have when you're facing Yetis, Terranites, Fallens or Jack'o. It's a small detail I'd love to see in the official client.

I didn't get a chance to test the stability of the main client on the Auldsbel server. The last time I used the official client it froze on my end when I logged in as GM and entered an area players were. I confirmed this behaviour several times.

1 comment:

  1. White the Mana client does not display this information yet, I do think it's worth noting that Ubuntu 11.10 includes Mana 0.5, which was rather dated, especially now that Mana 0.6 is out (also available for Ubuntu 11.10 through a PPA).

    In any case, thanks for writing about what you're missing in the official client!

    ReplyDelete