Sunday, January 2, 2011

Auldsbel Web Server Hardware / Updates

I've already pimped my own TMW server a couple of times, but I thought I'd post a few more details about the server for those interested in the hardware and software behind the server(s).

There are actually 3 servers in the Auldsbel network: web server, game server, and development server.

The picture to the right, the IBM eseries xserver is the main game server. It's a IBM eserver xseries 220 Pentium III 1.1GHz with 256MB of Registered ECC SD-RAM and 2 x 18GB hard drives. You'd think the server would be slow, but the 2 18GB hard drives are 15,000RPM Ultra-Wide SCSI hard drives. Memory is a concern, and I've had 1GB of RAM on order, but the company it's on order from has been delaying shipment since November 2010. At this point they have 1 week to prove they've sent the RAM before they go on ripoffreport.com. The game server runs Debian GNU/Linux. I actually tried Ubuntu Server first, but it seemed to have issues with the IBM hardware. Surprisingly the 15,000 RPM hard drives are almost whisper quiet. The IBM box is quieter than my wife's desktop machine.

The web server is run on a Dell GX60 with 1GB of RAM and an 80GB IDE hard drive. It runs Ubuntu Linux server and Wordpress.



The development server, which isn't available to the general public, is actually the most powerful machine in the network (it's also my wife's Linux desktop). It's a quad core 2.5GHz box with 4GB RAM running Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop.

No comments:

Post a Comment